Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

recipe | chicken gyros

I found this one on Pinterest again.  I've made it a few times, but just now remembered to take a picture before I ate it.  I followed the recipe here almost exactly, except I didn't make my own pita bread.  It was really easy to make and super healthy too.  I love Greek food, so this was a definite winner.


Chicken Gyros

Tzatziki Sauce:
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cucumber
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp white wine vinegar
salt and pepper
drizzle of lemon juice
drizzle extra virgin olive oil

Chicken:
2 tsp minced garlic
2 - 3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp dried oregano
salt and pepper
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts

For assembly:
Pita bread (I used whole wheat)
tomatoes, seeded and diced
red onion, diced


For the tzatziki sauce
Dice the cucumber into small cubes.  The original recipe asked to peel the cucumber, but I didn't.  Wrap the diced cucumber in a paper towel to squeeze out as much excess water as possible so the sauce doesn't get too watery.  In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients, then add the diced cucumber.  Mix with a spoon until fully combined.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight to bring out more flavor.  Mix well before serving. 

For the chicken
Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.  Add the chicken and mix with marinade, until all pieces are completely coated and/or submerged in the marinade.  Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight for more flavor.

Cook chicken as desired.  I baked it for about 30 minutes and broiled for 5 minutes.  Once cooked, let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting into strips. 

Assembly
Heat the pita bread (I put mine in the microwave for about 15 - 20 seconds, but I'm sure heating it in the oven would make it extra crispy and prevent sogginess).  Add strips of chicken, tzatziki sauce, diced tomatoes and red onions.  Chow down!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks fantastic. I love greek food too, definitely going to have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is drool worthy! Looks so good can you just come over and make it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. let me know if you guys try it! might want to double the recipe too in case people want seconds!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...